Orthodontics for Children and Teens
Once all of a child's permanent teeth have erupted (usually between 11-13 years of age), he or she is ready to begin orthodontic treatment with braces!
Braces! What now?
Don't worry! Braces aren't nearly as scary as you may think. In fact, braces today come in a variety of styles, materials, and colors, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and even more stylish than in the past. Orthodontic treatment is a big part of life for many young people today and we're here to help make it as enjoyable and rewarding as possible.
How long will I have to wear braces?
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on three key factors:
- What needs correction — The amount of movement needed to correct a problem will set the stage for how long the process takes. While it may take one patient only 18 months to complete treatment, it may take another patient with a more severe problem 28 months.
- Your teeth -- Everyone's teeth react differently to orthodontic treatment. Some people's teeth move very quickly, other's more slowly. How your body responds will play a role in how long your treatment will take.
- YOU! — Your willingness to cooperate with the instructions your orthodontist gives you plays a major role in the length of time it takes to complete your treatment. Always remember to take care of your braces and appliances; this truly will help make your treatment shorter!
Aren't braces just for looks?
Many people still believe that braces are just cosmetic and there are no benefits beyond looks--this couldn't be further from the truth! Many orthodontic problems, if not corrected in childhood, can result in significant health issues in adulthood. An improper bite can lead to wearing and chipping of teeth. Crowded teeth are difficult to clean and can contribute to tooth decay and gum disease. These issues require extensive dental treatment that often is more expensive than the orthodontics that can help prevent it.
There definitely is an improvement in esthetics after treatment, and the confidence a young person gains from having an attractive smile cannot be underestimated. You can feel good about investing in orthodontic treatment for your child; you're giving them a healthy, beautiful smile that will last a lifetime.
Orthodontics for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens! In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists reports that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Recent studies have even shown career success can be correlated with the attractiveness of your smile! Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Common Reasons Adults Consider Orthodontic Treatment:
- A malocclusion (bad bite), causing teeth to fit together incorrectly and in some patients result in discomfort
- Bite issues causing excessive wear or damage to the teeth
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly contributing to tooth decay or gum disease
- Teeth that have shifted over the years
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having to wear braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of appliances include:
- Traditional metal braces (much smaller and more comfortable than you may remember from when you were a child!)
- Clear (ceramic) braces
- Invisible removable aligners
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatment and are comfortable with every step on the path to a beautiful, healthy smile.
Why Should You Consider Orthodontic Treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.